Nguyen Khoi Tran
Researcher, Reader, Writer
Research fellow the Centre for Research on Engineering Software Technology (CREST) at the University of Adelaide, conducting research in the TIPS. My core research question is how to empower organisations and individuals to build and use decentralised software solutions that are efficient, resilient, secure, privacy-preserving, and user-controllable. My research adopts an engineering-centric approach, focusing on the systemization of architectural design knowledge and the development of tools and frameworks to enable decentralised software.
- Blockchain and Decentralised Applications (DApps),
- Blockchain Network Architecture,
- Trustworthy Information and Processes,
- Infrastructure Automation
2015 - 2018
Ph.D., Computer Science, The University of Adelaide, Australia
- Funded by the Beacon of Enlightenment Ph.D. Scholarship from The University of Adelaide
- Advisor: Prof. M. Ali Babar, Prof. Michael Sheng, Dr. Lina Yao
- Dissertation: A Reference Architecture and a Software Platform for Engineering Internet of Things Search Engines.
2009 – 2013
B.Sc., Computer Science, International University – VNU-HCMC, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Summa cum laude, GPA: 3.95 / 4.0 (91.2 / 100)
- Advisor: Dr. Hong Quang Nguyen
- Thesis: MobiPDA: An approach to Mobile-application Development for Independent Developers
A full list is available online
Tran, Nguyen Khoi, Bushra Sabir, M. Ali Babar, Nini Cui, Mehran Abolhasan, and Justin Lipman. “ProML: A Decentralised Platform for Provenance Management of Machine Learning Software Systems.” arXiv preprint arXiv:2206.10110 (2022). Accepted as full paper in the European Conference on Software Architecture 2022.
Tran, Nguyen Khoi, M. Ali Babar, Andrew Walters. “A framework for automating deployment and evaluation of blockchain networks.” Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Volume 206, 2022, 103460. ISSN 1084-8045.
Tran, Nguyen Khoi, M. Ali Babar, and Jonathan Boan. “Integrating blockchain and Internet of Things systems: A systematic review on objectives and designs.” Journal of Network and Computer Applications 173 (2021): 102844.
Tran, Nguyen Khoi, and M. Ali Babar. “Taxonomy of Edge Blockchain Network Designs.” European Conference on Software Architecture. Springer, Cham, 2021.
Tran, Nguyen Khoi, and M. Ali Babar. “Anatomy, Concept, and Design Space of Blockchain Networks.” In 2020 IEEE International Conference on Software Architecture (ICSA), pp. 125-134. IEEE, 2020
Tran, Nguyen Khoi, M. Ali Babar, Quan Z. Sheng, and John Grundy. “A Framework for Internet of Things Search Engines Engineering.” In 2019 26th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC), pp. 228-235. IEEE, 2019
Tran, Nguyen Khoi, Quan Z. Sheng, M. Ali Babar, Lina Yao, Wei Emma Zhang, and Schahram Dustdar. “Internet of Things Search Engine: Concepts, Classifcation, and Open Issues.” Communications of ACM, 2018.
Tran, Nguyen Khoi, Quan Z. Sheng, M. Ali Babar, and Lina Yao. “A Kernel-Based Approach to Developing Adaptable and Reusable Sensor Retrieval Systems for the Web of Things.” In International Conference on Web Information Systems Engineering, pp. 315-329. Springer, Cham, 2017
Tran, Nguyen Khoi, Quan Z. Sheng, Muhammad Ali Babar, and Lina Yao. “Searching the Web of Things: state of the art, challenges, and solutions.” ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR) 50, no. 4 (2017): 55.
Tran, Nguyen Khoi, and Hong-Quang Nguyen. “MobiPSE: A scenario-based mobile-application development for end-user developers.” International Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications 10.2 (2014): 153-167.
Dec 2019 - Now
Grant-funded Researcher, CREST, The University of Adelaide, Australia
Mar 2020 - Now
Course Coordinator, School of Computer Science, The University of Adelaide
- Master of Software Engineering Project
Aug 2018 - Nov 2019
Teaching Assistant, School of Computer Science, The University of Adelaide
- Master of Software Engineering Project
- Software Engineering Workshop
Dec 2013 - Dec 2014
Teaching Assistant, School of Computer Science and Engineering, International University
- Principle of Database Management
- Discrete Mathematics
- C/C++ Programming in Unix
- Object-oriented Analysis and Design
July 2020 - Now
PhD Supervision, School of Computer Science, The University of Adelaide
Mar 2018 - Now
Master Project Supervision, School of Computer Science, The University of Adelaide
- Master of Computer Science
- Master of Data Science
- Master of Software Engineering
Dec 2020 - Mar 2021
Summer Research Project Supervision, CREST, The University of Adelaide
- Reviewer: TEM, COMP, SASEIOT2016, AICCSA2016, BDCloud2016, ICWE2016
- Conference co-organizer and volunteer coordinator: ICCSA 2013
- Committee Member:
- IEEE Technology and Engineering Management Society’s Technical Committee on Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies
Awards and Scholarship
Beacon of Enlightenment PhD Scholarship, The University of Adelaide, 2015
2010 – 2013
Scholarship for Excellent Academic Performance, International University,
Scholarship for Excellence Academic Performance, CSC Vietnam, 2012
Scholarship for Full First-year Tuition Fee, International University, 2009
Language and Skills
English (Proficient), Vietnamese (Native)
- Infrastructure and DevOps: Docker, Ansible, DroneCI, Prometheus, InfluxDB, Grafana
- Software Architecture: Blockchain network architecture, Microservice Architecture, Architectural Design Patterns and Tactics, Attribute-Driven Design Method
- Personal and team management with Scrum and Kanban
- Knowledge management with Zettelkasten and Second Brain method
- Academic, technical writing, and science popularisation
- Seminar and presentation
- Industry collaboration and communication
- Course development, coordination, and delivery